Saturday, September 18, 2004

Hair today, gone tomorrow

Hello Everyone,

As some of you might have noticed, I've been going bald. Yes, bald. Who'd have thought? It only started about SEVEN years ago and it's been getting progressively worse.

Now, my allopecia (that's the fancy way of saying that I am on the pilgrimage to look like a cue-ball) has been the source of much pain in my life. Thus, I have shaved my head.

Yep, shaved it.

1-blade.

Damn near bald.

I should have a number tatooed on my arm and sent to Auschwitz or Dachau.

Actually, it doesn't look too bad. If I get a chance, I'll take a picture of it and post it for all to behold.

I think my response to "Why did you shave your head?" will be: To be in solidarity with the poor and to save money. I can now wash my entire body with Dial body wash. That is, of course, if I utilize the mesh shower-scrubber.

Now, for my observation about life outside for the normal people (read: laity or non-Jesuits). I should like to think that if I left the SJ's, I would start a bar that had a social-justice theme. In Catholic social teaching, there is what is known as the "Preferential Option for the Poor." I think I'd have a similar theme: "Justice for the Pour" where you would be assured of getting a perfect draft of Guinness each time you came in. Just a thought...

A second thought: Remember Wilfred Brimley? The Quaker Oats guy, the grandfather on "Our House" and the current spokesperson for some Diabetes service. Do you know that he has single-handedly changed the English language? For eons we've said "Diabeteeeez" (Like Wheaties) and now, thanks to the old coot himself, we say "Diabetis" (short 'i' sound). What gives? Who gave him the right to destroy our language? He now joins Snoop Dog (Faschizle on my Nizzle...that's just a corruption of the language) and people from Minnesota as harbingers of dialectical disaster.

Peace.

Ryan

No comments:

Flute playing priest finds YouTube fame