Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Turkey Bowl

In every age, the cry of the people rings out calling for new champions, new titans to represent the hopes and dreams of the masses. This cry echoes far and wide and here at Loyola House, the weary world found its champions, its gladiators of sport who would play out on the theater of the football field the eternal drama of good versus evil, light versus darkness, Detroit versus Chicago.

The Arena: Turkey Bowl 2005

It's probably an annual tradition (read: if it's done for more than two years at this house, it becomes somehow a tradition) for the Chicago novices to play the Detroit novices every Thanksgiving. While Denis Weber and Richard Beebe slaved away in the kitchen, I got to go out and play football (I was the "center" and I caught one interception). It was a lot of fun, despite the frigid weather and wicked wind.

After memorizing a great victory on the gridiron (Detroit 35 to Chicago 21), some of us repaired to the kitchen where we worked slavishly to prepare for dinner. If I can do so, I'll put the recipes up on the net, but here's the menu:

Prosciutto and Hazelnut Encrusted Turkey
Sweet Potatoes
Garlic Whipped Potatoes
Apple and Cranberry Stuffing
Cornbread Stuffing
Cranberry Sauce with marmalade and orange juice
Cheddar Biscuits
Tim McCabe's Shitake gravy
Ginger Honey Pumpkin Pie
Spiced whipped cream
Strawberry Cloud from Drew
Wine

Not a shabby spread!

Ok, I'm just back from the gym and pretty stinky. I'm going to shower (too much information) and then I'm off to UD Mercy to have office hours, write two tests, and get ready for my own class. If I have time later, I'll write about the Oireachtas.

Cheers!

No comments:

Flute playing priest finds YouTube fame