Monday, June 11, 2007

A Letter to the Irish Dancing Community

As many of the people who read my blog are affiliated with Irish dancing, I would like to take this opportunity to address them directly. While the aim of this missive is to express some of my thoughts on the current state of Irish dancing, I suspect that other readers will be able to expand its scope to include other areas of life.

Dear Parents and Teachers of Irish Dancers,

It has been a great honor and privilege to serve as a feis musician for nearly ten years. Beginning with local feiseanna while in high school, I have had the wonderful opportunity to travel all over the United States and Canada providing music for your dancers. After entering the Society of Jesus in 2004, it was my fear that I'd be unable to continue playing. Fortunately, my religious superiors have encouraged me to share my love of Irish music and have, consequently, allowed me out to play again. This last year in particular has found me playing both at feiseanna run by old friends - a chance to spend time with "feis friends" I have known for many years - as well as at feiseanna in the New York region I had not played when I still lived in Cleveland.

It is from my vantage point as one who sits at the side of the stage that I write you. This stage is both literal and metaphorical; for as I sit for many hours playing the accordion for the dancers, so too do I sit "side stage" as an observer of the innerworkings of Irish dancing play out on a day-to-day basis. What follows are only my observations, a voice speaking from both inside the fray and, in no small sense, outside of the cacophony of music and voices and heavy shoes that seem to fill the air.

It is with great dismay that I have left a number of feiseanna this past year. While a fan of competition as a means to challenge oneself and to strive toward becoming an ever-greater exponent of a medium, I must confess to being most disturbed by the level and intensity of competition. From my seat "side stage" I have heard parents encouraging their children not to speak to other dancers; I have seen dancers aggressively pursue other dancers on stage such that dancers have fallen and been injured; I have watched glitter-laden tears streak the overly-rouged face of a ten year-old girl after a mistake in her slip jig elicted an awful and stinging critique from her mother. I have watched boys and girls as they guzzled Red Bull in the hope that the surge of caffeine and sugar will give them an edge; and edge, sadly, that seems to result in them throwing up after they are done dancing. The anonymity of the message boards exacerbate this problem: people citing their interpretations of NAFC rules, insinuations, and un-charitable treatment of feis organizers, adjudicators, and musicians. It seems that so long as no one knows who you are, it is entirely acceptable to name ADCRG's and musicians and offer one's critique of that person.

From where I sit, I often muse on the message communicated to the female dancers. Is it that in order to win, to be sucessful, they must have "the look"? Are small fortunes are spent on the latest costumes, garrish make-up, wigs, fake tans, in order to achieve this purpose? I fully understand the desire of people to look beautiful, but I do not see anything beautiful or comely in all of this. What I see is a message that says, "If you want to be a success, you must conform to an established norm. You will win only if you cease being you as an individual and step into the figure of a champion." In an era of image-consciousness when anorexia and bulemia are plaguing teens, I just have to pause to wonder whether this is a healthy message to send to children. I muse often, too, on the state of the dresses: with the increase in price there has been a commensurate increase in garrishness such that I see no relationship between the "Irish Dancing Costume" and anything Irish save for the fact that somewhere beneath the sequins, ostrich feathers, and various ornaments there are two feet that are dancing.

To some extent, I do fault the teachers. Have you cultivated an attitude at your school of win-at-all-costs? Has your sense of self become tied to the success or failure of your Irish dancing students? When you took your exam to become a TCRG (teacher) did you ever imagine that the gradual evolution of Irish dancing would take on the character of over-priced dresses and synthetic hair? Did you foresee the great sadness you would experience when dancers you had trained to be champions decided to leave you for the latest and greatest teacher who has just opened a class in your neighborhood? Did you anticipate how parents would fight and vie for your attention, how they would second-guess each decision you make, how they would speculate on your alterior motives for each person you put into a ceili or choreography or dance-out performance?

To both parents and teachers, I must ask: do your dancers know anything of the Dancing Masters of Ireland? Do they know anything of Irish music, or is it just the noise that tells the dancer when to start the dance? Do they know the history of the hornpipe or that there are many variations on each of the Traditional Sets? Do they know the history of dancing in America or how much Irish dancing is indebted to the "Old Guard" of Fidelmia Davis, Una Ellis, Peter Smith, Maureen Hall, Cyril McNiff, and others?

When your dancers leave the feis, what is their memory? Do they recall fondly packing a cooler filled with sandwiches and soda and rising early on a Saturday, driving to the feis, and spending the whole day dancing and playing while the parents set up camp and drank their...sodas? Do they have fond memories of feis days and the Oireachtas? As I read message boards before and after various feiseanna, I often wonder how we got along on a feis day when people seem to want to do the feis, the First Communion, the soccer game, and the baseball tournament all in the same day. I understand what it is to be busy and to have a full schedule, but to demand to know the precise times a round will start seems to me to be a bit excessive. Is your dancer's the memory of an unexpected first or is it that the Such-and-Such Feis refused to post results online or that Judge X is corrupt? Is the drive home filled with a happy-and-tired dancer or a lot of fuming and raging about inaccurate start times and corrupt judging?

What appears to be lacking is a sense of discernment. Teachers, when you decided to teach Irish dancing was it for the money? Or was it because you fell in love with the music and dance of Ireland and you decided that it was your calling to pass it along, to claim your place in the Irish tradition as a steward of her culture? Parents, did you enroll your child in dancing to become the World Champion (not a bad goal at all!) or did you want your dancer to have a sense of his or her roots? When you switch schools and engage in back-biting, is this the type of person you want your child to become? One who has no sense of loyalty to one's teacher? I'm not so blind as to say that there are no good reasons to transfer, but it does seem that the capricious manner with which some hop from school to school raises the issue of whether this is the type of adult you want your dancer to become, one who believes always that the grass is greener on the other side.

The pessimism of this letter is tempered by the good that, from my vantage point, I see each day. I love to play the First Feis competition as the new dancers prances around in a circle, executes an exagerrated bow, and runs to his or her parents with justified excitement. I love to see the hard-working preliminary dancer earn her second first place trophy - delivering her into the championship level - as well as the prizewinner boy who has finally mastered his hornpipe timing. It gladdens me to see parents drinking their "sodas" as they laugh and have a good time. And nothing is so refreshing as talking to one of the teacher's about her school or his own children, catching up and sharing memories over a "soda" at the end of the day.

From the side of the stage, I offer music and caution. Long after the trendiness of Irish dancing has faded (if it has not done so already) your child-become-adult will no longer fit into her dress and will not be able to do toe-walks. When your dancer cleans out her closet and finds her old dancing costume, what will she have then? Will hers be the memory of in-and-out days of competition, of intense practice and animosity with other dancers? When your son finds his hardshoes, will he remember the good times he had running throughout a hotel or practicing for a figure choreography or will he recall being yelled at for not placing first? Upon finding the artifacts of a childhood hobby, will they quickly put down the dress and the hardshoes and try to forget, or will they savor the memory and hold out hopes that they, too, might have a child with whom to share their love of their heritage?

Now in the heart of feis season and as visiting teachers come in for pre-Oireachtas workshops, I would just encourage everyone to take a moment to reflect on how Irish dancing affects the dancer. The bonds that tie the new days to the old, the Old Guard to the Next Generation, are far sturdier than the strings of soft shoes or the pins that hold wigs to a dancer's head. These are bonds formed by memory and love. My hope is that we can all remember what it is that we love about Irish dancing and music and that we are able to pass this along to the next generation that they, too, may know something of the love we have for our Irish culture and heritage.

Please know that I hold the dancers, parents, and teachers of Irish dancing in a very special place in my heart. I commend this to you from my humble place at the side of the stage where I sit playing and praying for each of you.

Blessings,

Ryan Duns, SJ
Musician

35 comments:

Jason said...

Ryan, have you thought of reading this letter as a "vlog" on YouTube?

Jason said...

(Meant to add:)

I don't know much about Irish dancing competitions, but what you describe seems to be the state of many such competitive youth activities.

Unknown said...

Jason,

That's a really good idea. I'll have to experiment with it.

Ready for Denver?

Ryan

Anonymous said...

Well done.

Jason said...

Lordy, am I ever! lol

We leave Tuesday for Spokompton (Spokane) for Province Days and ordinations, and Saturday, as soon as the bishop recesses out the back door of St. Al's, we're on the road for two long driving days to Denver.

I've heard good things about the experience.

Anonymous said...

Ryan, your letter has been posted on at least one of the Irish Dancing Boards which is were I read it. You have been very observant and funnily enough you played at a feis for us last weekend and my son thought you were the best musician he has ever heard - he's only 9 but has a good ear! Unfortunatly not only are you observant but you are also correct and as another commentor said it does reflect many youth activities.

Anonymous said...

I got this link from dancenet. My DD got ME into Irish dancing (I do ceili/set dancing, she does step dancing). I have kept her out of the more competitive local ID schools, and she knows why. Her ID school has a community of support that I continue to see even as more of them, including my daughter, compete, and against each other. The mother of our schools most acomplished (World Qualifier) dancer once said, "It's just dance." We want our children happy, to learn goals, sure, to do well, sure, and to be gracious and supportive and love the music and love the dancing. I've seen some of what you have, good and bad. This is our first year where DD will travel for a few feiseanna's, and I'm sure I'll see more. May she stay enjoying the dancing, her friends, the travels, and stay being a good sport and competitor, a good example. I do think she'll look back years from now, with fondness. You raise good points. Thank you. And, I'm certain, for your music as well.

Anonymous said...

Ryan,
You've made me think. Is this about the kids or the adults? As always we should question; who will be glorified with the thoughts and actions of many of us in the ID community?

I see myself, easily drawn into what is the crowd is doing; when I entered this world it was because I wanted my daughters to be proud of their heritage; and I wanted to remember the pride my father had in being Irish.

Your blog has put the responsibility on me. When I get caught in the desire for the blingest dress for DD, the biggest wig, the latest soxes, flowered headbands and the most unique car magnets. I can stop it.

thanks for praying for me and my family.

A DC MAID

Anonymous said...

Amen! This should be required reading for every parent involved in ID.

Taoknitter said...

Beautifully said. I need to read this a few more times as not only do I agree wholeheartedly (I am a parent of three dancing daughters), I also have written a few things about the pervasive attitude that has enveloped Irish Dance...my perspective being that of a dressmaker who does what the client wants. My posts, however, are not as overwhelmingly kind as yours...my smart a** Irish sense of humor definitely colors my rants!

If you don't mind, after I think on this, I am going to post a link to this post on my blog...it is very thought-provoking. Thank you for posting your thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Please be advised that there are many families who still make a feis an all day family affair. We love the lessons that competitive ID teach. Sportmanship, goal-setting, etc. Above all we tell all children each time they dance in competition to enjoy the dance! There are plenty of families just like ours.

KK

Unknown said...

Hello Everyone!

I must confess that I am deeply moved by the overwhelmingly positive response to my musings.

Please be assured: I do not wish to diminish or cast a pall on Irish dancing as a whole. It's only that I want to name and confront what I perceive to be a growing shadow. Like any shadow, it shows up only as a contrast against a greater light which is, to my mind, the overwhelming experience of Irish dancing and music.

Anonymous said...

As a TCRG, ADCRG, with dancing daughters, I strive daily to walk with Jesus as I teach children with integrity. I am currently reading The Secret Message of Jesus and which encourages us to live the Kingdom of God on earth. I feel blessed to be involved in such a wonderful art and cultural form and am reminded of it every time I watch a new beginner master their steps or sit in a World class event as I get chills watching the most accomplised of dancers. Thanks for your post...God gave us this gift and it is our responsibility to share it wisely.

Anonymous said...

Ryan, I forwarded your open letter to Irish dancers to everyone in my wife's dancing school. Definitely, definitely, good observations on the state of ID as some people are approaching it! (I had the pleasure of talking to you after the endless Saturday at Feili Denver in April and enjoyed meeting you.)

Bill Bennett
Bennett School of Irish Dance

Anonymous said...

Thank you for a wonderfully written piece. Fortunately, I've found the bad apples in our school to be only about 10% of the bunch.
My 3 daughters will be the ones that have wonderful memories of their years in Irish Dance, not the ones that were driven to tears by a parent wanting to live through the child... I'll make sure of that. We've so enjoyed your music at many a feis, and look forward to many more.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your blog piece. As a father of two ID's who have been very successful, (in both life lessons and awards) a director of our school's parent booster organization and the chairperson of a feis, your thoughts and observations are warmly received.

It was self evident that the thoughts and observations that you shared came from your heart, with a sense of balance. I noted with agreement your observations on the message boards, and the negativity that drives some of the threads. One is given to ponder at times, to whom does this modern day celebration of Irish culture serve?

I would strongly urge you to continue postings on this subject. You provide a unique insight, and an obvious conviction for the truth!

And lastly, thank you for sharing your passion with our children and enriching their lives through it.

Anonymous said...

Dear Ryan:
I found your letter to the Irish dance community quite moving. Many of your points are so true.

My daughter loves Irish dance and her main goal really is to become a TCRG. When she started at 6 years of age I didn't know what we were in for - but then again wigs were just becoming popular. I will say if you scratch beneath the surface you will find some great people in Irish dance.

I have made quite a few friendships through Irish dance as has my daughter. She loves the competition, but also enjoys seeing her dance friends as well. A couple of months back she stepped throught the zipper of her dress before she went to dance, a dad of one of her competitors (from another school), fixed it so that she could dance. I see these little things all the time. There are always one or two that would run you over :) but I hope they are the minority.

Maybe it's the school we attend - Peter Smith, but in many ways we seem more like an extended family then a group of competitive dance families. When I compare this group of people to those that I come accross in other activities, I'm very thankful my daughter chose to dance. We both would have missed out on such wonderful people if she didn't!

Anonymous said...

My daughter had the opportunity to dance her "First Feis" on May 12. She did not. She received her "First Holy Communion". Being eight years old she dosen't know the history of Irish Dance but is learning some of the history of the irish people as well as the other cultures that she is. First and formost American, then Catholic then the rest. I wish all parents could read this letter. Thank you for putting your feelings down in writing. Obviously God has given you many gifts, music, writing and others. God Bless you in all your endevours.

Anonymous said...

Well said.
At one time we just wanted to do Irish dancing for fun. With our first teacher, as a Feis approached, those who weren't competing were ignored. Even now, at a different school, there is still some "ignoring" if you are not competing or doing shows. Oh, well, maybe they ought to make schools that have qualified teachers that will not allow you to compete, just learn...

Anonymous said...

My daughter-in-law passed this on to me and I'm so glad you've addressed these issues from an insiders point of view. My daughter was and Irish dancer for fun, exercise, friendship and heritage. We didn't go to many feises, but she did go to World's and had a wonderful time with three friends touring Ireland. My grandaughters are now dancing and what a different world it is. When the wigs took over, in my opinion, the glamour increased. My training is in ballet and the Irish footwork is amazing. Why then can we not concentrate on that? Thank you and all the musicians who add to our enjoyment. It's always amazing to me that you can play and play and play all day. Thank you again for your sensitivity and candor. May God continue to bless you in your vocation and avocation. All things for the Glory of God!! I went to a Jesuit college!!

Unknown said...

Again, thank you all for reading/responding. I can see from the /60473 message board that some controversy has been stirred!

I'm tickled by the suggestion that I haven't lived in the real world. Before I entered the Jesuits, I managed a video store, worked with special needs children, taught music, earned a MA in religion, worked as a graduate assistant, and played almost every weekend for two years! As a Jesuit, I've taught Kindergarten and College, held the hands of the dying and baptized babies, climbed a mountain and rafted down a river, started an on-line tin whistle course and written a scholarly article for publication!

It's not everyone's experience, but I've done things, too!!

Best to all!

Anonymous said...

Father Ryan,

Your letter should make everyone think - not just the parents or the dancers - and not just those in Irish Dance. My daughter chose ID at the young age of 5 and is a champion today at 16 hoping to dance at the worlds next year. Her goal in life "one day I can tell my children that I danced at the worlds." Not how she placed - but rather the feelings and joy and the people she has met.

We - as a family - are on the most incredible journey through life, accented and enhanced by Irish Dance and the friends that we have made. We have had moments of reflection where the worst day was made better by the achievement of a friend or the support of another. My daughter has learned how to take losses with a smile, to cheer on her friends and to clap loudest when they achieve, and most importantly to take her wins with a smile too. She has learned a grace and poise that will hold her in good stand for the rest of her life. She has learned that sometimes you think you failed - only to learn another has seen the beauty of your actions. That sometimes your best just isn't enough - but you don't give up. You put the music on again and practice that move just a little bit longer.

There is great beauty in Irish Dance that glittery makeup, sparkly dresses and wigs can never cover up ... it's a glow that comes from deep in the soul.

Congratulations on YOUR achievement and vocation in life. I know that many lamented that we would lose your talent to the Church ... strange, I never thought of it as a loss. I thought then and now that your talent can only enhance the Church. And thankfully, the Church realises that your God given talent is a gift to be shared. When you next thank God for your Blessings, thank him for the Blessings that he has given us.

Anonymous said...

Your letter says it all. As a TCRG I have always tried to instill the correct values into my dancers. It's about fun, I tell them and winning is a bonus. Sadly, there are the few who, as you put it so well, move on to the latest "hot teacher on the block" because they think they will do better. But when I meet ex-pupils of mine, I am so pleased when they remember, not the time they forgot their hornpipe or came last in the reel, but the friends they made and the travelling we did together. I hope that somewhere along the line I have done my bit to do the right thing by them and I hope all my dancers retire with happy memories.

Anonymous said...

I'm a newish TCRG and some of my students are starting to get to the level of being able to compete at regionals, etc and you've made me realise I'd forgotten a little bit about why I teach.

I love my new dancers and the determination they show when they start learning for the first time. I love how the beginners can sit mesmorised for ages and watch the older girls dance, hoping that one day they can dance like that too, yet run amok the minute you turn your back in class. I love the fun and laughter that comes with classes with my older, experienced students. And I love the support that my dancers parents give me. I only have to mention something and they're willing to chip in.

I'm going to keep a copy your letter so that I can remind myself every year that winning ISN'T actually everything.

Good luck with everything!

Anonymous said...

Messages like yours are worth repeating, and worth me printing and rereading to myself as I need reminding that I am a Catholic Christian first, a wife and mother second, and someone who cares more about the dance and her students than about where they place.

Agnes Regina said...

Wow, Father Ryan, what a wonderful letter! I've only been to one feis, regrettably, but I did get a faint impression here and there of what you mentioned, though mostly I liked what I saw. But that essay of yours should open some eyes, hopefully, and put a stop to the bad parts you wrote about.

Anonymous said...

Where can we learn about these Irish greats? I pay for my kids' dance classes and they learn to dance during them. The teacher works hard at getting the kids to know each other, but mostly, the hour is spent dancing.

How do we learn of the history?

We're pretty new to US Irish dancing and I think that our school falls into the 'good guy' category, though wigs are mandatory.

Father, could you/would you post a link with your playing schedule? We'd love to talk with you at a feis (before or after, of course!).

Thanks for this post. It gives me hope, as I have been fearing the later years of dance.

Unknown said...

Hello There!

My schedule is a bit strange: I'll be in Milwaukee later this month and then Windsor and Great Lakes in August. After that, I'm not scheduled for anything until Youngstown and Pittsburgh and the Mid-American Oireachtas.

I'd be glad to chat with you at a feis - which region are you in?

Anonymous said...

We're in the Southern Region, about as far south as it gets...in Miami.

Before reading this open letter, I wouldn't have thought to chat with the musicians. I wouldn't have wanted to 'bother' you. Of course, we don't spend much time at the feis. It's all about getting the kids to their stages and trying to see their dances. The musicians are working very hard while we're there. I'm hoping that we'll get better/more relaxed about the logistics and then we'll get to meet more people and 'feel the love'!

On another note...have you heard about the new TV series being developed? It's called "Vows" and it focuses on a Jesuit formation house. And the priests are good and holy, not, um, the usual portrayal!

We may catch a feis or two up in the Northeast this year, but I don't know. I've bookmarked your site, so I'll be able to keep up with you.

Anonymous said...

Father Ryan,

Do you ever play at competitions in Seattle, WA? If you don't mind, I would like to pass some of your comments along in our school's next newsletter.

Unknown said...

Please feel free to send it to whomever you feel might benefit.

Best,

Ryan

Anonymous said...

Ryan et al,
Can someone tell me how the "curly" wig evolved? My 10-year-old is an Irish dancer and is doing a school report on the history of Irish Dance. We can't find anything on why the girls wear wigs. FOr the record, my daughter doesn't wear one but is often the only girl in her Feis group w/o one. I recently got her the curly-scrunchy to go over her bun.
adrienne

Anonymous said...

I sometimes wonder if the Holy Spirit sits on the board of Google! I may be late to your blog post by a couple of years, but I would not have needed it in 2007and I really needed it today. As a lifetime member of the Irish dance and music community, the current state of feisanna troubles me greatly. It's nice to see that someone has the same observations and opinions as I do. Your post has helped to renew my spirit and determination to approach ID feisanna with my dancer with the same love and respect that my parents did with me and my siblings regardless of the craziness that seems to surround us. Thank you and God Bless!

Anonymous said...

Late as well, but I would be very interested to see if you're still playing and have you seen changes in the past 3 years? My daughters are in their second year, we wear no makeup, no fancy dresses, we do curl their hair but no wigs...and they get GREAT exercise and love for the art and music....we've yet to attend a feis and wonder if we should forget them and just focus on the dance, my girls are on a performance team and that seems to satisfy their desire to perform.

Maireen said...

Thank you for taking the time to write this letter:-)

Flute playing priest finds YouTube fame