Sunday, April 12, 2009

Happy Easter

I went last night to the Easter vigil held at Fordham University. I love the vigil: the liturgy is beautiful, the music is gorgeous, and especially moving is the reception of new initiates into the Church. Two years ago I went to Saint Ignatius on Park Avenue, memorable not only because my good friend, Jane Dryden, was received into the Church that night but, also, because the little boy sitting directly behind me barfed at the very beginning of the liturgy, leaving me to fret each time I knelt down whether my feet were going into his partially-digested Happy Meal. 

Fortunately, it turned out, my shoes stayed dry. 

Lent seemed very long this year. Interviews for regency (the next period of my Jesuit formation: I'll be teaching theology at the University of Detroit Jesuit High School and Academy), schoolwork, preparing for my one-hour oral comprehensive in philosophy: all of these weighed heavily upon me. It is fitting that the light of Easter coincides with the announcement of my regency and the drawing to close of my time here at Fordham. I've loved my time in New York and I leave here having made many, many wonderful and dear friends. 

But I am ready now to begin my next adventure.

Please be assured of my prayers today and during this Easter season. It's an exciting time of transition and I look forward to sharing more of my journey with all of you...as soon as the dust settles from the work I have ahead!





2 comments:

Laura said...

Happy Easter Ryan, Alleluia!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Ryan,

My name is Steve and was wondering how to contact you to see if you wouldn't mind writing a review of my website http://www.CatholicExpert.com on your blog (good or bad). You can contact me at prayerbead@catholicexpert.com.
Happy Easter
Steve

Flute playing priest finds YouTube fame