Friday, May 04, 2007

Days of Leisure

True to form, I'm finished early with my papers/finals/work for the semester. This gives me a few days to relax and enjoy being in New York before I return to Cleveland on May 21st.

It has been a quiet few weeks. I've had no major insights, no profound experiences, nothing particularly funny or amusing or poignant to talk about. I will, though, make two book recommendations:

First, Ian McEwan's Atonement is a fabulous novel. It's the sort of book I would use in a theology paper largely due to its beautiful writing and powerful insight.

Second, I'm reading Cormac McCarthy's The Road. Known both for its recent Pulitzer and its inclusion in Oprah's book club, it is a peculiarly written novel about a father and son in what might be called a "quasi-historical" landscape (For Karl Rahner there is history only where there is freedom and, in this novel, one can question how free the characters are). My speculation aside, it really is a good book.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That makes two of us done early. :)

Though if you had asked me a couple of weeks ago if I ever thought it possible that I would get done early I would have laughed at you...through my then tears of frustration....

I've heard really good things about Cormac McCarthy. Gonna have to check him out.

Peace Jesuit Celtic Music Dude,

Karen said...

I have an idea. Fly to L.A. and help me write this pilot.

Not that I'm going to buy your plane ticket.

And I think you should write a paper on the genius of Charlie. Or at least a blog post.

Flute playing priest finds YouTube fame