Saturday, March 17, 2007

The Unicorn's Shadow

Karen Hall has issued something of a fatwa, or declaration of war, against me for introducing my dear friend Charlie the Unicorn to her and her unsuspecting family. Oddly, novice Jason and Karen's five year-old son and I have something in common: we all find Charlie to be lethally hysterical.

Let me offer this as an apology:

I am a Jesuit. I am poor, chaste, and obedient. In addition to this, I am going bald. I like to pray. I play the accordion. I teach a course on the tin whistle.

Do I sound like the poster boy for GQ?

Hardly.

I like cartoons - my father will attest that I would make every effort to watch the X-Men cartoons (even in college) and that I enjoy Pokemon. I still read the Harry Potter books (and the Chronicles of Narnia and the Lord of the Rings) and I'm proud of the fact that I am really little more than a big, bald kid.

So, Karen, I am SO SORRY that I find inane unicorns funny. I'm sorry that the spiritual quest they embark upon to find the fabled Candy Mountain is not funny to all. I'm sorry that the magical leopluridan and a rickety bridge aren't downright hysterical.

Perhaps I should say: I am sorry.

If it is any consolation, apparently my maternal uncles (and probably my paternal uncle) think I'm crazy, too. Nonetheless, I stand firm in saying that I do laugh each time I watch Charlie.

By the way, a Happy Saint Patrick's Day to all. And Karen, if your anger has abated by the time you arrive, I'll look forward to seeing you next week. Otherwise, I'll lock myself in my room...alone, except for Charlie!

4 comments:

Mark Mossa, SJ said...

Ryan,

Though after watching the video, I do question your taste (but I do like a lot of those other things you mentioned, and I'm going bald too), I don't know if quite so effusive apology is necessary! Karen will most certainly get over it, and I suggested to her that she might see it as a Lenten penance.

Hope things go well for you there in New York. Hope to see you in these parts some time!

Jason said...

Yeah, well I question everyone else's taste! I know it's bizarre, but it's so funny! I suppose unicorns always are.

"We're on a bridge, Charlie!"

teeheehee!

Karen said...

Okay, I guess I'm going to have to write a follow-up post because I have been BRAINWASHED and I am now a Charlie fan. Yes, I said fan.

It's some kind of Jesuit Mind Control Conspiracy.

Last night I was even Googling to see if Charlie's creator has any other "work" on the internet.

I will blog about this as soon as I can make any sense of it. Maybe I was hit by the Candy Mountain Cannonball. Stop me if I try to found the Order of Charlie the Unicorn.

Joe said...

You people keep missing the point. It's the "kidney" line at the end that is the payoff of the whole thing.

Most of the video is absurd/funny enough, but that last line a split atom of hilarity.

Please get it together.

-J.

Flute playing priest finds YouTube fame