Friday, June 29, 2012

Auf Wiedersehen!

In a few hours, I will head off to Innsbruck, Austria, to begin my study of German. Several years ago, I spent time learning how to read German. Valuable at the time, it has struck me repeatedly that I should rather have a developed ear for the language, so the Society of Jesus has been most gracious in allowing me this opportunity for a thorough immersion in the German language.

Near as I can tell, the closest thing I have to an association with Austria is the move The Sound of Music. If you have a twinge of nostalgia when you think of this movie, feel free to watch the video below of "Edelweiss."

2 comments:

C said...

Cool, I'm heading to Munich in a few days for an internship myself! I'm a native German speaker, but since you need to develop an ear for the language (in the Tyrolean version...) I guess it won't help much if I write to you in German from now on :-)
I knew some people who were Jesuit Volunteers there, I think in a youth center, they liked it a lot!

Have fun!
Karin

Nan said...

Have fun! How long are you there for? and you will keep us POSTed?

Flute playing priest finds YouTube fame