Monday, July 11, 2011

T-Minus 10 Days of Class Remaining

Our intrepid band of Intensive Latin students embarks today upon Week V of our course. Scheduled as a six-week course that works through all of the Wheelock's Latin, we will start working through the remaining ten chapters tonight. I marvel that my brain hasn't yet dissolved, so battered has it been by memorizing vocabulary and grammatical forms. Truth be told, I'm simply amazed at how much one is able to learn in a course such as this: I was reading the Vulgate this morning and, last night, I started to make my way through the Itinerarium Mentis in Deum (The Journey of the Mind into God) by Saint Bonaventure.

I woke up a bit earlier than usual and, as it is July in Berkeley, I had to burrow deeper under my sheets because it was pretty chilly. Unable to go back to sleep, my mind wandered until it struck me that this Friday marks the end of the 10-year era of Harry Potter films. While this is not news to very many people, it did strike a nostalgic chord as I was a senior in college (Canisius College '02) when the first movie came out. I had seen and read the book  when I was in Ireland the year before (The Philosopher's Stone) and went with my roommate and some friends to see the movie. It's hard to believe ten years has elapsed since then!

I have an exam on Wednesday, so I doubt I'll post anything until after that is over. One test and the final stand between me and my summer vacation. By God's grace and continued perseverance, I'll make it!

No comments:

Flute playing priest finds YouTube fame