Monday, April 04, 2011

The Fate of Answer Cat


I learned, at some point, that having a 'gimmick' in class helped the boys to stay engaged. One of my gimmicks has been "Answer Cat" - a stuffed cat I throw to kids when it is their turn to speak.

Several weeks ago, Answer Cat went missing. Lo and behold, on April 1st, this video was delivered to me, leading me on a series of perilous adventures and clue-solving in order to recover my stuffed friend.

I don't know how the kids did it, but I'm wicked proud of them. When I brag about how clever my students are, this is what I'm talking about: they didn't resort to severing bits of fur or cutting off the tail but, rather, created this video to add great flavor the game.

For the uninitiated, I am "Abba Duns." It is a nickname I was given last year (and tried, fruitlessly, to shake) that has now taken hold of the kids.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Abba Duns,
I taught high school for a dozen years. All boys school (that I graduated from) for 2 of those years. Religious studies teacher, just like you. Had a nickname too...Papa Smurf.
Clearly,
(1) the kids like you and think you have a sense of humor
(2) they are engaged by you, otherwise they would not have gone to the lengths they did to kidnap Answer Cat and create the colorful video
(3) you have helped them to create a memory that will last them a lifetime.
You have a gift. Enjoy it. And the world needs a few good Jesuit priest high school teachers...

Flute playing priest finds YouTube fame