Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Back to Classes

Right outside my window, workers are hammering and digging and sawing and pounding. They have been doing so since a little after 6:00 am. I'm glad that I get up at 5:30 am each day, but this racket is terribly distracting. The dust kicked up by their construction is putting a strain on my Sharper Image Air Filter and I'm having to clean it every other day. 

For newcomers, let me offer a little salvo about studies. My present mission as a Jesuit is to study philosophy and theology here at Fordham University. My mission includes as well ministerial or apostolic engagements: I take students to various Masses throughout the metropolitan area and I teach the tin whistle. The past two semesters I was an instructor in the Irish Studies department where I taught Introduction to the Irish Tin Whistle. At heart, however, I am a student and I am again with a full set of courses this semester.

So what am I taking?
  1. Classical Modern Philosophy. We focus on Descartes, Hume, Locke, Spinoza, etc.
  2. Intro to Thomas Aquinas. Title says it all.
  3. Social Analysis. This is an inter-disciplinary seminar that helps to foster a reflective attitude and analytic skill set that we can bring to ministry. 
  4. German for Reading Knowledge. 

I'm enjoying things so far. My classes are actually spaced in such a way that I have free time to do reading and studying during the week. Last semester my classes seemed to be spaced awkwardly such that I never had a free afternoon...although, with the awful noise outside, I don't know that I'll get much work done in the afternoons, at least not in my room.

So that's all for now. Nothing neat or cool has happened thus far. I'm anxious for the election of the new General of the Society of Jesus and, post-election, I'll have more to post!

No comments:

Flute playing priest finds YouTube fame