Thursday, October 18, 2007

28 Years

Although this will be posted a bit before midnight, I am writing this as my birthday post. As many of you know, I was born on October 19th, 1979. It also happens to be the Feast of the North American Martyrs celebrating the 17th century Jesuits and Companions martyred by the Iroquois. Since it's my birthday, my parents think that the Feast of the North American Martyrs applies to them, too.

I often wonder what my parents thought 28 years ago when they held me for the first time. What hopes did they have? What dreams? Fears? Probably the same hopes/dreams/fears that my brother is feeling over his daughter Emma. Probably the same hopes/dreams/fears that I felt when I held Emma. But the joy of parenthood - or being an uncle, in my case - is to respond to the vocation to play a formative role in the life of a new creation.

I don't yet know how I'm going to celebrate. I'll work out in the morning and then translate some German. Then off to the library to work on some research and then, hopefully, I'll watch an episode of Heroes. After that it's dinner and then into Manhattan for an enjoyable evening.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! Enjoy your day.


Nancy Loren

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!

Martin

Anonymous said...

Happy birth day, Ryan--you're right--28 years ago ---and with each subsequent child--a world of hopes and dreams are envisioned--but my daily prayer is that God keeps my children safe--so far no disappointments--a few glitches along the way--but wouldn't change any of you--Thanks for being such a great kid--and a great brother--we all love you!

Love ya!
Mom

Anonymous said...

Well have a blessed Birthday!
Heather

Flute playing priest finds YouTube fame