Wednesday, September 20, 2006

A Birthday Greeting

I would be TOTALLY remiss if I did not give a huge

Happy Birthday!!!

to my dear friend Anne Hall.

For those of you who don't know her, Anne is an accomplished teacher and adjudicator of Irish dancing and she lives in Denver. It was also Anne who began this blog over two years ago, so in a way she's the mother of my ramblings these last few years.

So please join me in wishing Anne a very happy birthday. Anne, thank you so much for being such a good friend...you've taught me more about love and friendship than you'll ever know and I am a better man for having known you.

My favorite Anne Hall birthday story (well, my only one): Several years ago Anne's birthday coincided with the Baltimore feis. Well, due to horrible weather the building where the feis was to be held was totally without power and a number of the stages had to be moved outdoors. Sitting outside under an umbrella is not my idea of a fun day...even if I'm at the beach...and by the end of the day I was pretty dang exhausted. Well, during an interminable line of slow hornpipes, didn't some awful grasshopper see fit to jump down my shirt and then, unable to escape, begin to flutter about madly in my shirt. I look pretty ridiculous when I'm playing the accordion, so imagine me jumping up and down - playing all the while because I didn't want to throw a kid off time - while trying to rid myself of my unwanted guest.

That night, we went out with Anne's friend Nicole for a lovely dinner (I recall only that we had wine and crabcakes, although I suspect there was more food than that) and then walked along the waterfront.

Happy memories!

Happy Birthday!

No comments:

Flute playing priest finds YouTube fame