Sunday, January 21, 2007

You Know It's Cold When...

You're standing at the finish line at today's New York Road Runners Half-Marathon
and, as the runners cross the finish line, you notice less their gasping for breath and more the fact that icicles hang from their beards and hair and that their shirts are stiff from frozen sweat.

Now were I to have made the exercise video (leotard rather than tin whistle) maybe I would have been in good enough shape to run in today's event. As it turns out, I went with Mara Brecht (another grad student here at Fordham) in order to cheer Mike Jacko, SJ and Drew Marquard, SJ as they braved the BITTER cold. There are few times in my life that I can remember being as cold as I was today and I even dressed in six layers of clothing.

Sadly, Mara and I provided more "holding coats/bags" support than moral support - since it was so cold, we opted to meet them immediately at the finish line rather than finding them at some point on the route -- neither of us wanted them to have to wait to get their heavier, and warmer, clothes back that we had to hold for them while they raced.

1 comment:

Joe said...

Half marathons? Bitter cold? That way lies madness.

Unless this is some new "mortification of the flesh" thing of which I wasn't previously aware, in which case that's cool.

AMDG,

-J.

Flute playing priest finds YouTube fame