Tuesday, February 08, 2005

I'm Back!!

Hello everyone!

Thanks to everyone who wrote me while I was away. It's heartening to know that my real family wrote me, so I might chance my name at some point soon to "Ryan English, Ryan Abercrombie, Ryan O'Malley, Ryan DeLeon, Ryan Marquard, or Ryan Allgrim." Interestingly, it will probably not be "Ryan Duns" as my family, in addition to throwing out (and probably burning my books) never sent me any mail. None. Even American Express sent me a letter, but not my family. Well, all I can say is this: we now know who did NOT get any prayers over my 30 day retreat.

On a lighter note, it was a tremendous and moving experience. Not the retreat so much as the coffee they served (Ex-Lax should investigate the coffee's laxative properties....it's like drinking Drain-O). Seriously, though, it was probably the most important part of my life, even more important that being born (since I don't remember it). It will take me a fair bit of time to begin to find a language that will express the experience but, as I find time and ability, I will share it with all of you. Almost completely different from the usual tenor of my posts, these will really attempt to expatiate upon the profound graces and experiences of spending 30 days in prayer and reflection.

So that's that for now. I'll try and get in touch with many of you over the next few days. Mike and Brian English get a special shout-out for sending me a Pez dispenser (Batman), a comic book, Incredibles playing cards, and some hot chocolate. It was most appreciated guys! Your note was quite funny, too. I remember when I had my own siblings but, since they never wrote me, I figure that they must either be in a coma or, perhaps, fell into a trap set by some sinister and devious forces. Or they just are too lazy to write, the direction in which I lean. Now, having written this, I can imagine my mother being most irritated and writing a letter or, GASP, sending one of the 23 birthday cakes I'm still owed (hehehehe)...well, it aint gonna work, Michele, it aint gonna work. You are all out of my good graces and I'll leave your eternal soul up to God -- I imagine that it's possible that God is more lenient than I am, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Okay, that's about it. I'll write again soon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sheesh, so writing one letter isn't enough to get into the new family honor roll? Sure, it wasn't much of anything special. I did use really nice paper though! Glad you had a good time, and I'm looking forward to hearing more from you soon. Welcome back!

-JP

Anonymous said...

Ryan- Couldn't write because we we ALL busily involved in contemplative prayer-- (for you)--and attempting to explain to the inquiries we received as to your well-being the phenonena of YOUR being silent for thirty days--everyone who knows and loves you--including your grandmother--were amazed at this idea of Ryan not talking--and immersed themselves in praying for you and those around you--that you would "make" it--we are SO glad you did!! By the way--Hagan wanted you to know that she got third at the Science Fair--an accomplishment sweetened by the fact that you never did---How's that for sibling competativeness?
Love you always!
Mom

Flute playing priest finds YouTube fame