Tuesday, September 18, 2012

An Academic Week

Last Monday, while peeling potatoes, I slashed open my left pinky finger. It wasn't a grievous wound but it has made it difficult to type. So the two or three times I wanted to post something, I ceased early on in the process, one time because I noticed that I was bleeding through the bandage and onto the keyboard!

As many of my readers know, I love the study of theology. This semester, in embarking upon the MDiv at the Boston College School of Theology and Ministry, I'm taking five courses:

  • Survey of Canon Law
  • Fundamental Theology
  • History of Christianity I
  • Introduction to the New Testament
  • Wisdom Literature
Starting on September 24th, I'll also be doing a directed study in Ecclesiastical Latin. Per my schedule, I have at least one class each day with my earliest days beginning at 8:30 (MW), 9:00 (F), and 10:00 (TR). I'm very fortunate that I have some fantastic instructors for my courses and I've been excited by our readings.

One of the great blessings of this semester has been the opportunity to read widely and deeply. How often does one get the chance to read the whole of the Gospel of Mark? The whole of the Book of Job? Several essays penned by Church fathers and the great theologians? Not very often, I suspect, and I'm immensely grateful to have this opportunity to learn the tradition as well as possible in order to put it to the use of the faithful in the years to come. 

If pressed to name another blessing, I'd not have to stretch very far: last weekend, I was introduced to the wonders of Downton Abbey. Many of my immediate community members are big fans and they've been encouraging the two of us in the house who have not seen it to watch. Last night, I think we had eight guys over to the house to watch it - some for their second or third viewing! I've been so impressed with the quality of the shows acting and writing and the beauty of its cinematography is arresting. 

At some point - hopefully soon - I'll have the time and energy to return to writing more frequently. Whenever I sit down to blog, it is with the realization that there are many things for me to read or other assignments to compose. I want to take every advantage of my time these years, learning and studying to the best of my ability, that what I have had the good fortune to have been given might be put to good use. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

These days, Timberland for fall 2012 is the best that can be collected for the fall. With the arrival of autumn and winter days, people would like to wear fall Timberland Boots with beautiful design and color combination, very good and very impressive.

Flute playing priest finds YouTube fame