Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Tuesday is a Friday

Thanks to the hard work of our students in raising over $150,000 in our Pledge Detroit! campaign, we do not have school either tomorrow or next Monday. I have to work tomorrow to supervise nearly 100 students who failed to bring in their pledge quota, but I don't really have to do any work. I just have to put them to work or waste five hours of what would have been their day off. Alas.

I'll head off to Chicago tomorrow evening and then, on Friday, I'll play for the Mid-American Oireachtas. This is sort of like a mega-feis, for those into Irish dancing, and for those who aren't: it's like an enormous pet show, but for children who do Irish dancing.

I return Sunday evening with, I hope, enough time to do some laundry. On Monday I'm flying to Tampa to participate in the "Thought Partner Gathering" hosted by the Society of Jesus where we'll discuss communications.

It's really hard to believe that Advent is nearly upon us. This year, I've decided to pray through Advent with the a text entitled Advent of the Heart: Seasonal Sermons and Prison Writings by Alfred Delp, SJ. Delp was a Jesuit executed at the hands of the Nazis in 1945. If you get a chance, his writing bristles with prophetic energy that extends beyond the walls of his prison cell and touches hearts nearly seventy years removed from his own setting.

2 comments:

Reed said...

Glad to hear you'll be at Oireachtas! Will try to say hi!

Reed said...

PET SHOW!!!!?????

I am affronted Ryan!

(hee hee) ;)

I prefer to think of it more along the lines of a horse race or medieval jousting tournament - lots of pageantry -

A humorous documentary along the lines of "Best In Show" would be very fitting for Irish dance though! You could play the part of the itinerant feis musician who dreams of concert hall performances and world tours but instead spends unending days playing the 3 same set dances.

oh it would be so funny!

Flute playing priest finds YouTube fame