Saturday, August 22, 2009

Insanity

As many of you know, I have taken a strong interest in physical fitness over the past few years. It began by going to the local YMCA with fellow novices. Then, as I moved into studies at Fordham, I became a regular gym goer. Just three months ago, my training culminated in the running of the 2009 Cleveland marathon.

One of my worries, given my teaching schedule, has been how I'd find the time to exercise. Part of the difficulty is that I've never had to work out by myself: I've always had other Jesuits to go to the gym with. So I was intrigued when I saw ads this summer for the Insanity workout program by fitness guru Shaun T.

You can go to the website if you want to get the gist of the program. Let me say only this: I did the first full workout this morning: the Plyometric Cardio Circuit and now, two hours later, I'm really feeling it. I have never, in all my life, sweated like I did this morning. Considering that this is Day 2 of 60 and that this is only the first of several workouts, I'm both excited and unnerved by what I experienced today. I seldom believe infomercials but, if today's experience is any indicator, I reckon that this workout program will deliver on many of its promises.

In other news, things are very quiet here in Detroit. Today we have Community Faith Sharing, a business meeting, followed by a dinner with the community. Tomorrow I'll put the finishing touches on my syllabi and get ready for the storm: classes start on Monday. I am really, really excited to start teaching. I'm pretty much settled into my room, although I need to do more in terms of decorating the walls. I should also think about decorating my classroom, although I have little talent for such things.

So say a pray for my students as we begin this new adventure. I'm sure there'll be much to report in the upcoming days!

2 comments:

Charlie Roy said...

Interesting post. Good luck with the start of the school year and I hope the workout doesn't kill you.

Jen said...

Sean T's hip hop abs... now that's a party!

Flute playing priest finds YouTube fame