Saturday, June 03, 2006

Feis

I went to the Detroit feis today. As near as I can tell, this is the second or possibly the third time in my professional career that I actually went to a feis as an observer. I didn't quite know what to do with myself - it's sort of disorienting to just be one of the crowd! If I can say anything for being a spectator, it's that I got to come to the feis late, leave early, and I didn't have to worry about playing the accordion all day. Like last week, it was good to catch up with old friends and to spend time talking to "feis folk" in a way that my normal playing schedule doesn't allow.

In other news, I was approved for vows this week. I probably could have mentioned this earlier, but didn't think it was that important. I figured that if the Jesuits hadn't seen fit to kick me out thus far, I stood a pretty good chance of taking vows in August! Seriously, though, I felt pretty confident that the provincial would accept my petition for vows...I think that's why I struggled to mail the letter of request several months ago!

So that does it. I'm pretty sleepy so I'm off to bed, even though it is only 10:45. I'm reading a good book on suffering...I think it's the Duns Family History...or something like that.

I'm going to Cedar Point on Tuesday so there should be some pictures from that outing to post. Maybe I'll get one of me on a roller coaster or eating cotton candy or throwing up the cotton candy I've ingested after riding on the roller coaster.

Oh! There is one thing I've been wrestling with. I need a vow name. Part of me wants to honor the father of my spiritual life - Karl Rahner - and take his name. But I've come to think that I might like some other name. Robert Bellarmine is nifty, as is Fabian and Sebastian. Think of it like this: right now, I can sign my name as

Ryan Gerard John (not exactly sure which John I chose -- I think it was John de Brebeuf although it might have been John of the Cross or John the Baptist) "insert vow name here" Duns.

I didn't strike gold with my confirmation name (John is pretty common) so I would like to choose something neat. Robert Bellarmine is the patron of catechists and Robert is my dad's name -- two birds with one stone. But if anyone has other suggestions, I'm willing to entertain them.

Honestly, I'm inclined toward Bellarmine for a number of reasons but I think it'd be sort of fun to see what suggestions other people might have. I doubt I'd take Gelasius or Sixtus or Hilary as a name, but if you can find an off-beat saint, I'd love to hear about him or her!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know that you must have entered as an Adult competitor - so... how did you do? And... were up up against Mr. Seger??? ; )

Joe said...

I say go for the Robert Bellarmine!

AMDG,

-J.

Anonymous said...

John is a great name!!!!!!!!!!

Great seeing yoiu again. Look forward to the vows. Obi Wan Ferone

Flute playing priest finds YouTube fame